10 Facts about coffee
- The first Web Cam was invented to monitor if the coffee was empty.
- Coffee grows from seed to a shrub and then a tree. During the period as a shrub it prefers shade to direct sunlight
- To get a coffee 'bean' you start with a cherry, which is picked, de-pulped, dried, washed (or semi-washed) then sorted by size (or graded)
- Espresso in Italian means "force something out"
- The name Cappuccino comes from the resemblance of the drink to the clothing of the Capuchin monks.
- Coffee was the first food to be freeze-dried
- Caffeine increases your levels of adrenaline, and releases fatty acids from fat tissues, leading to a better physical performance by those who consume caffeine before working out.
- The original coffea tree has been traced to Madagascar
- Only water is a more consumed beverage than coffee
- Coffee without milk is fat free
2 Most common Myths about coffee
- It is often said that coffee is the second most trade commodity: This is FALSE. It is the second most actively trade commodity MARKET price, or C-MARKET price. This means that it the second most volatile commodity in price behind oil. In fact it is actually just outside the top 50 of in commodities behind Beef and Wheat
- Goats discovered coffee: This is probably FALSE. The first reason this is a myth is that it can only be tracked to the mid 1600s, and coffee consumption (although not roasted) can be traced to over 1,000 years ago. The second and more convincing fact is that when they have offered goats, dried leaves, dried straw or coffee cherries, the goats only eat the cherries when everything else has been finished.